The Australian War Memorial was opened in 1941 as the memorial to all members of its armed forces and supporting organisations who have died or participated in the wars of Australia. The Memorial terminates the ceremonial land axis which originates at Parliament House on Capitol Hill to the south. The Memorial consists of three parts; the commemorative area, the museum and the research centre. Bennett and Trimble were appointed as architects for minor works in 2011 and have completed a range of projects at the Mitchell and Campbell campuses. Our engagement with the organisation is ongoing.
Completed projects include:
- a review and strategic masterplan for workplace and collection storage accommodation across the Mitchell and Campbell campuses,
- the preparation of Workplace Design Guidelines,
- implementation of the first stage of the accommodation masterplan to re-organise
workplaces within the Accommodation Building,
- the design and refurbishment of the Director’s suite,
- the refurbishment of various collection storage areas, labs and workshops, and
- the refurbishment of the visitors bookshop within the Main Building.
Current projects include a new TV studio for the multimedia section and the design of a new access ramp and outdoor exhibit for the Administration Building. All projects are undertaken within the heritage listed buildings of national architectural and cultural significance.